Should I consider a career change?!

Sara
So I graduated with a BSN in 2011 and currently work as a Registered Nurse and have been for a bit over a year now and I've been thinking: "THIS IS NOT FOR ME!" It's just way too much that's expect and way more than I can handle. Everyday I go to work is just horrible... and not too many patients/family members appreciate what you really do. I've just had it with this profession and have been seriously considering going back to school. I've even tried to apply for another department like ICU, but I just feel that "the grass is not greener on the other side" kinda thing and it'll be worse.

My dilemma is whether to pursue my Masters in Nursing Informatics (just to get away from bedside nursing & deal with paperwork/computers)... or just quit & go back for another Bachelor's?! I've always been interested in CSI/forensic investigation, but not a lot of jobs are available where I live (Miami, FL area). I have also considered moving to wherever there may be an opening (but I've got to get a degree first). I just don't know if I should get myself into more debt.

Any advice/comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
-Sara

Re: Should I consider a career change?!

Sara—

I suggest you look at the following page: How to Become a Crime Scene Investigator. It should give you an idea of what you need to do to become a CSI or Forensic Scientist.

There are over 250 jobs listed in the employment opportunity page of the Crime Scene Investigator Network. Many are entry level jobs. You will find that many jobs require a degree, but some do not. Of course, you will be more completive if you have a degree.

You are right, to get in this career field you may find you need to move to a different location to get an entry level job. But once you have worked a while in that entry level position you will have the experience required for other jobs.

Sara wrote
... I've always been interested in CSI/forensic investigation, but not a lot of jobs are available where I live (Miami, FL area). I have also considered moving to wherever there may be an opening (but I've got to get a degree first). I just don't know if I should get myself into more debt. ...

Re: Should I consider a career change?!

Wm. Meyers
Have you considered combining your nursing experience with forensics?  Emergency rooms all across the nation use nurses to perform the forensic examination of sexual assault victims.  You will be combining the identification of evidence, photography, collection and preservation of evidence and eventually, you may become an expert witness in courtroom testimony.  Also, some more rural jurisdictions use qualified nurses to respond to death scenes in a coroner capacity.  I have worked in the past with several nurses who worked under the Medical Examiner part time to respond to death scenes.  Again, combining your nursing skills with forensics.