Suicide

Eric
I was wondering if a police officer finds a letter next to the body of a suicide victim, and it's addressed to his wife or ex-wife, and he's been known to stalk her in the past, can the officer open the letter. I would think that if it was not addressed to him, and there was no note of drugs or other malicious content, that he wouldn't be allowed to. Am i correct?

Re: Suicide

Wilson CSI
I have worked suicides similar to this situation.   Where letters were sealed and marked to be opened by certain individuals.   Yes we opened them.   The letters give clues and evidence to why he committed suicide.  Copy of the letters were given to the person and originals were put in evidence.

Re: Suicide

Elizabeth
Regardless of why he stalked her, the letter could have valuable information in it. We open the letters to get as much information as we can. I had a suicide where the victim committed a violent crime, and the only reason we found out about it, and were able to tell the victim of that crime we found who harmed them, was because he admitted it to his wife; told her that's why he killed himself. It's not like it's mail theft in this case, we are just trying to solve crimes.

Re: Suicide

Eric
Thank you very much for your help. One other question, if it would say 'I'll see you in your dreams' in the note would you still give it to the wife?

Re: Suicide

Wilson CSI
It will be up to wife if they want to see the note or not.   No one can force the wife to read it.