The Benefits to Arming Civilian Crime Scene Investigators.

Posted by Sowers Sowers
Hello I am a student in North Carolina and I am conducting a research product on the benefits of arming civilian Crime Scene Investigators with firearms. I do have some questions for everyone that is currently in the field of forensic investigations.

1) Do you carry a firearm? If so what is the state and city/county you work for.

2) Are you Sworn or non-sworn?

3) Do you feel as if since your position puts you in the field and in dangerous situations at time that you should be allowed to carry if you do not already?

4) If you do not carry firearms does your department give you means of personal protection?

5) Do you respond to scenes when there is no officer such as priority (4) calls where you a civilian are sent to a crime scene that has not been cleared?

Those are just a few questions to start and I hope that I get a good response back. My hope is that by conducting this research I can help change a few policies for the better.

CSIChick86 CSIChick86

Re: The Benefits to Arming Civilian Crime Scene Investigators.

1) No
2) Non-sworn
3) Yes
4) We get radios and ballistic vests. No asps, or spray or anything.
5) We are supposed to have officers with us but I've been left at robbery/homicide scenes before.

Let me know if you need more info! FYI off the top of my head I think Tacoma Park in Washington has civilians that carry.
Sowers.J2 Sowers.J2

Re: The Benefits to Arming Civilian Crime Scene Investigators.

CSICHICK86..

Thank you for your response and I will reach out to them as well..
Jay Jay

Re: The Benefits to Arming Civilian Crime Scene Investigators.

1) No
2) Non-sworn
3) Yes - my main argument is the driving of the only marked unit outside of patrol. Supervisors and detectives have unmarked, as does the Sheriff.
4) None really - a radio I suppose and civilian carry of firearms is strictly prohibited by policy - no OC, baton, etc.
5) I always arrive after a first responding officer, but often times they are backlogged and cannot stay.  This is generally not an issue for persons-type crimes, but I usually get left by myself at search warrants.

I'm in Nevada and Las Vegas Metro PD allows for civilian carry of firearms with required training, etc.  I took a copy of their policy to my supervision and they wouldn't entertain such a thing.
Wilson CSI Wilson CSI

Re: The Benefits to Arming Civilian Crime Scene Investigators.

1.   No
2.  Non Sworn
3.  I use to but not anymore
4.  Officers are with us at every crime scene and issued vest
5.  we have an officer at every scene we go to
Sowers.J2 Sowers.J2

Re: The Benefits to Arming Civilian Crime Scene Investigators.

Jay,

Thank you for your reply, I actually was looking at Vegas for employment after I graduate in May. However, Nevada does not except out of state teachers and since I am married to a teacher will not be able to do so. I had heard that Vegas allowed their civilians to carry if trained properly, thank you for clearing that up. I think that depending on the department some do allow the carrying for their civilians but the majority do not. I think that if your position is to go into the field and at times will do so by yourself on a marked vehicle responding to scenes with or without an officer you should be given some form of protection. I have seen civilian CSI’s trained on batons, pepper spray and defensive driving. I have also seen some without that level of training, I have learn it does depend on the department.

Thank you
Sowers.J2 Sowers.J2

Re: The Benefits to Arming Civilian Crime Scene Investigators.

Wilson CSI,

Thank your for your response and I am sorry for the late reply I was not getting emails about responses. It is good to know that CSI’s in your department do not go to scenes without an officer. I actually applied to your agency during your last opening as I am in NC as well. I am learning that vest are a standard issue PPE within the field whether you are sworn or not.

Thank You for your reply.