Tracks

Marty
I have more than 30 years experience as a police officer, park ranger, and search and rescue training officer. Over the years I have studied and taught man tracking. I have used this knowledge mostly for locating people and in a limited way for crime scene investigation. I would like to expand my skills in that area. I would appreciate some input from practicing CSI's in regard to any tips they might have about how they approach, document, and analyze shoe tracks at a crime scene.

Re: Tracks

Marty—

There are several articles on the Crime Scene Investigator Network regarding footwear impression evidence. A list of them is on the articles page under Footwear, Tire tract and Other Impressions.

A good overview can be found in the article Footwear, The Missed Evidence, by Dwane S. Hilderbrand.

Dwane just released his 3rd Edition of his book Footwear, The Missed Evidence. The 353 page, 7 1/2" by 10" book can be carried in the field or used in the laboratory as the primary reference on locating, collecting and recovering footwear evidence. You can purchase the book with a 10% discount directly from the publisher.

Marty wrote