Training AND a degree??

ChelseaS95
What kind of training and certifications do you need to qualify
for a position as a crime scene investigator? I heard that there's some kind of training school in Virginia for all CSI's but i dont know if thats true...

Im starting school at San Diego State University in August but I wanted to know if I need training along with a degree.

Thanks!

Re: Training AND a degree??

Dustin Staggs
If you look at the employment listings, you can see what different agencies require. just click the link @ the top of the page to see the listings.

Re: Training AND a degree??

Danielle
I work as a CSI, and I have not been to Virginia for a training school so I don't think "ALL" CSI's have to go there :) Do you have the name of the school in VA? Maybe its an undergrand Forensic Science program. I suggest taking a science major and getting as much experience with anatomy and anatomy lab, forensic science, and science classes. A little criminal justice wouldn't hurt either, if they offer it.

Re: Training AND a degree??

I am a CSI in NC.  I believe the school in VA that is being referring to the Forensic Science Academy by the Virginia Department of Forensic Science.  I believe it is a 9 week course covering a wide range of Forenic science fields.  You don't have to go to this class.  There is also a Forensic Academy with the University of Tenn.

As for as a degree stick with a hard science with some criminal justice courses.