UK Student seeking work in US

Natalie
Hi. I am currently studying a Bachelors degree in Forensic and Investigative Science and I am planning on completing a Masters degree in Forensic Anthropology. Once I have completed my studies what would I need to do to be eligible to get a job in Forensics in the US?

Re: UK Student seeking work in US

Natalie—

It is possible to get a job in the United States, but first you must have legal status to work in the United States.

To work as a non-permanent resident in the United States you would have to find an employer who will sponsor you for a temporary worker visa for a job opening they have. Since there are a lot of USA citizens applying for the CSI and forensic jobs, it will be difficult for you to get an agency to go to the trouble of sponsoring you unless you have a lot of experience or a specialty they really want. And most agencies want career employees, not temporary workers.

Another way to work legally in the United States would be to get a Green Card (Permanent Residence). It is possible to get a Green Card through a job offer. (You may be eligible to become a permanent resident based on an offer of permanent employment in the United States. Most categories require an employer to get a labor certification and then file a Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, for you.)

As far as the requirements to get a job anywhere, I suggest you decide where you want to work, find out what they require in education and experience, and then get that level of education and experience. Here is a listing of over 500 Crime Scene Investigator and Forensic Scientist jobs in the United States (the most complete listing on the internet).

We do have some international jobs posted on our International Job Opportunities page.

Re: UK Student seeking work in US

Natalie
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response, it's really helpful.

I have done some research regarding the field I wish to work in and from what I can see there is a shortage of people in that specific field, however, the job opportunities in forensic anthropology don't seem to come around as often as I'd have hoped for.
I will keep looking for job opportunities here and in the States throughout my studies. It may be that I decide to change my Masters degree choice to a field with more opportunities.

I will also look into my options for a Green card and see what I would need to do.