123
D7

Re: Welcome to the Crime Scene Investigator Network Forum

D7
Hello everyone,  Just a brief intro.  I have been a police officer in NY for over 23 years,  and a detective in a crime scene unit for over 9 of those years.  I am a lever three latent examiner and SAFIS/AFIS operator.  I am interested to see what backgrounds and experience come to this forum.  My suggestion to all, weather sworn or civilian, keep an open mind and never anticipate a result.  That is the key to an honest and well worked crime scene.  And good luck to all of you up and coming CSIs entering a rapidly growing field which will also become frequently challanged.

Let the evidence guide you, never guide the evidence

D7

Re: Welcome to the Crime Scene Investigator Network Forum

TheSkwerl
Thank you, Steve, for providing this forum for everyone.  I will be shortly starting an online course for Introduction to Forensics (though I've been reading and researching for about 6 years now), and now I have somewhere I feel comfortable asking questions when I get stuck.

Re: Welcome to the Crime Scene Investigator Network Forum

DennisD
Good Day all!

My wife and I own a business called "Extreme K9 Solutions" in Pinetop Arizona.  We specialize in "K9 Forensic Evidence Recovery!"  I work full time for the Pinetop Lakeside Police Dept as a Crime scene tech/Evidence.

Our dogs do cadaver recovery, along with evidence recovery.  My wife just completed her Masters Degree in Forensic Science and did her thesis on "Decomp of Scent!"

Forensice Evidence Recovery is FASCINATING line of work...if anyone is interesed, let me know!

Re: Welcome to the Crime Scene Investigator Network Forum

Welcome Dennis

Do you think your wife would like to have her thesis published on this website? We are always looking for new material. Our article page is:
http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/csi-articles.html
Any material you have written/developed as a Crime Scene Technician would be welcome too.

Re: Welcome to the Crime Scene Investigator Network Forum

DennisD
Hi Steve,

I'll ask her but I don't see why not! She is always looking for new avenues etc. to get her work out there!

Her thesis is being published by (hope I spell this right!) Signa Aldridge, her source for phusdo cadaver scent and drug scent.

Dennis Denton
Badge #C83
Crime Scene/Evidence Tech
Pinetop lakeside Police Dept.
Do you think your wife would like to have her thesis published on this website? We are always looking for new material. Our article page is:
http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/csi-articles.html
Any material you have written/developed as a Crime Scene Technician would be welcome too.

This email is a reply to your post @ http://n2.nabble.com/Welcome-to-the-Crime-Scene-Investigator-Network-Forum-tp1487255p1562333.html

RE: Welcome to the Crime Scene Investigator Network Forum

Bianca
Hi, i have a research paper due as well. I was wondering if you could answer 10 questions for me, please?
thanks,
Bianca

RE: Welcome to the Crime Scene Investigator Network Forum

I can give it a try. Go ahead and post your questions.

Bianca wrote
... I was wondering if you could answer 10 questions for me, please? ...

Re: Welcome to the Crime Scene Investigator Network Forum

Michelle D
I have just registered on the site at my husband's suggestion. He is a CSI with our local PD. I have just completed my Master's in forensic science with a thesis on scent decomp. and the scenting dog. I am a K9 handler and own a private company specializing in K9 narc. detection, human remains detection/recovery and evidence detection/recovery. I will be posting parts of my thesis and welcome anyone interested in my field of study to join in a conversation.

RE: Welcome to the Crime Scene Investigator Network Forum

J(Criminalist)
This is my favorite site. And the best forum, finally for Forensics.

Re: Welcome to the Crime Scene Investigator Network Forum

Jeff
     Hi Steve,
Glad to see your site is doing well! As a 2 year Crime Scene Investigator for the Memphis Police Department I am always looking for bigger, better and NEW ways to process evidence. Looking forward to trying to Brass Black technique on metal surfaces. Please keep up the great work....We all appreciate it!
P.S. I'm originally form So. Cal. Woodland Hills. Any where close? Thanks again

Re: Welcome to the Crime Scene Investigator Network Forum

Just wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Mike and I work at the Wilson, NC Police Department.  I been working in Crime Scene and Latent Prints now from 6 years.  Always looking for new ways of doing things.

Re: Welcome to the Crime Scene Investigator Network Forum

CSI/ET Wannabe
This is (so far) an awesome forum, I see a lot of persons in the same situations as I am, and I hope to learn along the way!

Re: Welcome to the Crime Scene Investigator Network Forum

Hotwired
I have just registered after an enjoyable browse in your forums.

Thought maybe introductions were most approriate here in this thread.

I am currently a Scenes of Crime Officer in a UK Constabulary. my days are spent recording crime scenes, recovering and assessing evidence, and forensic advice to the Investigating Officers when necessary.

I am part of a Scientific Support Department, which, along with the thirty SOC Officers (for the whole county), consists of a Photography Department and a Fingerprint Department at Headquarters. The Fingerprint Department also has two fine technicians who use chemical treatments to assist us in recovering latent fingerprints on submitted items (They are the ones with SPR, met' dep', ninhydrin and such). My crime scene fingerprint recovery is mostly powders, brushes and photography and, on the rare occasion getting a hacksaw and seizing the fingerprints in situ on a surface.

I have been in my post for thirteen years or so - I never keep count - prior to that I worked in a forensic science laboratory for the Home Office. Total time 25 years.

It is all I have ever done and I would not have it any different. I have honestly never had a day when I did not want to go to work. I do have problems sleeping.

I work a nine hour, covering 07:00 to 23:00, with an 'on call' SOC Officer for 'out of hour' crime scenes (of which there are not many) most scenes are able to be preserved until daylight. I have been called out under ten times in my career.

I examine about 600 crime scenes a year, mostly dwelling burglaries, business burgaries and theft from motorvehicles. I perform the duties of a photographer at crime scenes and also the record injuries of victims of assaults. I examine fire scenes, recently we have started pairing up with a Fire Investigation Officer from the Fire Brigade. I have requested further Fire Scene investigation training as I could always do with sharpening my skills in this area.

We do get murders, sexual assaults, suspicious deaths, criminal damages and other crimes where we can contribute but fortunately they more serious crimes are few and far between.

We have to work around the weather to recover evidence - I noted the thread on recovering wet latent prints with interest  <Thinks: about the possibilities of being authorised to use SPR at crime scenes myself...>- erecting tents and prioritising evidence recovery in downpours whilst your white paper suit dissolves around you is not something I would like to do too often..

I have had crime scenes to examine every day of my SOC career except one - where the English national football (soccer) team had got through to the quarter finals in (I think) the World Cup. I assume the majority of our criminals must have been soccer fans and did not want to risk get arrested and missing the match on television.

Only other days where I have not examined crime scenes whilst on duty is when I am called to give evidence in court, which is not very often. Lots of offenders will plead guilty when they are presented with the evidence pretrail.

Apologies, only meant to introduce myself not write War and Peace.

I am sure i will enjoy this forum.

RE: Welcome to the Crime Scene Investigator Network Forum

EBAI ELIAS
we africans have a lot of difficulties in studing to become a forensic investigator or detectives mostly these jobs are very much neglected or are completely considered by our government if you private.
but i really want to be a forensic criminal investigator to sutudy by distance education
give some books to buy of these fields.
thanks
mr EBAI ELIAS
CAMEROON

RE: Welcome to the Crime Scene Investigator Network Forum

Sara Staggs
Here is the link to the Crime Scene Investigator bookstore: http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/csi-bookstore.html.  You can look through there and see which books are more of an interest to you and what specific skills you would like to learn about.

Re: Welcome to the Crime Scene Investigator Network Forum

alison89
Hi my name is Alison in October i will be starting school for Criminal Investigation many main goal is to become a investigator on a homicide team or something to that effect. I have been trying to research how i can get to that point but have had no luck. Can anyone give me any info?
Thanks Alison

Re: Welcome to the Crime Scene Investigator Network Forum

WANNABCSI43
Hello,
I am interested in all csi work....I would like to know if you and your wife are civilian employees or sworn?
I will be starting my trek into csi in Oct. going to American Intercontinental University for my BS. I would like to get a job in the csi arena while I'm attending school. How likely is that possibility?

Thanks for any information.

Re: Welcome to the Crime Scene Investigator Network Forum

krystals
I just wanted to say thanks for the web site, I wish I had seen it years ago but I guess better late then never. Thanks for everyones' input I am learning tons. The only question that I have is some of the articles, would it be ok for me to print them out? sometimes it is hard for me to read too much on the computer screen.

Re: Welcome to the Crime Scene Investigator Network Forum

GENESISS
HI MY NAME IS GENESISS AND I AM ENROLLING ON ONLINE CLASSES TO GET MY BACHELORS DEGREE IN CRIMINAL JUSTICE BUT I HAVE ONE IMOPRTANT CONCERN...WHEN I WAS 18 IN 2007 I GOT ARRESTED AND GOT A MISTIMINUR FOR GRAND THEFT...I MEAN I KNOW I DID WRONG I WAS GIVING DISCOUNTS IN MY JOB BUT I LEARNED MY LESSON DO YOU THINK AFTER I GET MY DEGEE I CAN STILL GET A JOB?

Re: Welcome to the Crime Scene Investigator Network Forum

ashley
what classes do you need to take in order to be a csi
registering for classes and just a little lost and also in community college
123