What do you do?

Jordan
I know some of what you do but I want to know all. I have watched the show Forensic Files and that's what made me want this job so badly. Do you get to find fingerprints, take photos, look up people to find the criminal, type up papers, look at the body, and find things that could help you at the scene? I really want to be able to do all this as a Crime Scene Investigator and I think it would be fun to do. Can you help me?

Re: What do you do?

Re: What do you do?

Sarah
Just know that real-life crime investigations are nothing like TV shows like CSI. I'm sure you're aware of that, but some people aren't and it can be a reality shock to them when they find out that it takes more than 45 minutes to get DNA results back, and when they discover that many crime scenes do not have any valuable physical or DNA evidence. So it's not all doing laboratory and field work, staring at test tubes, and using high tech equipment like the people on TV. There's also a lot of paperwork involved!
Just make sure you do your research before you decide that this is what you want to do.
Also be aware that many of these crime scenes can be very brutal and some involve children and babies, so that is something that you will have to prepare yourself for and ask yourself if you're able to deal with that emotionally and mentally.
A large part of being in this field is learning how to control your emotions so that you can do your job effectively. You kind of have to shut off some of your emotions and save them for later. There's a fine line between doing that and becoming cold. It can also be difficult to take home with your to your spouse or any other members of your family. They more than likely will not be able to truly understand what your job consists of and how it affects you personally. I know many people in the field who do not even talk to their families about it at all.
I hope I'm not deterring you from pursuing something that you want to do, but the things I've mentioned are just some of the realities of the job.
Good luck!