What is required (Education Wise) to become CSI

What is required (Education Wise) to become CSI

Stephanie
I am completing a Criminal Justice Diploma program and I'm interested in becoming a CSI is that possible with this degree or will I need further education and if so what?

Re: What is required (Education Wise) to become CSI

chrissy75
What kind of criminal justice program? That is a wide area of study.

I"m currently attending college for my CSI associate's degree, so I study classes that pertain to CSI, biological evidence, all sorts of crime scene knowledge, etc.

What do you study in your classes is the question? and I'll answer in any way I can.
chrissy j.l.

Re: What is required (Education Wise) to become CSI

Ruan
Hey!  I'm from South Africa and currently busy with my Bachelors  degree in Chemical and Polymer sciences at Stellenbosch University. My only problem is that i don't know whether this degree would fit to become a CSI? I'm still in first year of studies would be able to do honours degree in US..

Re: What is required (Education Wise) to become CSI

Adam
If you're working on a chemistry degree, you could also do good work in a forensic laboratory if you didn't become a CSI.

Re: What is required (Education Wise) to become CSI

Stephanie--

It will probably depend on the following:

  • Basic educational requirements for the job at the agency you are applying to. It is different from agency to agency. Some require only a High School education. Some a degree in Criminal Justice or forensics. Others require a degree in a physical science.

  • The classes you took in the Criminal Justice program. Did you take a crime scene investigation or evidence collection lab class?

  • The competition. Will the other candidates have more specialized degrees that will make them better choices?

I suggest you take a look at the following page on this site for some useful information: Becoming a Crime Scene Investigator

Also, look at the employment page to see what the requirements are for jobs posted there.

If you have a specific agency in mind, contact them and find out what they require. If you can, you want to somehow exceed what they require. More education or experience. Experience can include an internship or volunteering at an agency. If you volunteer at the agency you want to eventually work at, they can get to know you and that could help when you apply.

Crime scene investigations is an interesting and worthwhile career. I wish you the best in your endeavors.

--Steve

Stephanie wrote