What's the difference???

letibug
I'm interested in enrolling in school for a degree in the forensics field - specifically crime scene investigations (technician) or evidence technology /processing.  I've seen a Bachelors degree in Forensic Science and a Bachelors in Crime Scene Investigations.  From what I have read (there's not much that really compares the two) I figured that Forensic Science is more lab work with some field work and Crime Scene Investigations is mainly field work with little or no lab work.  Is this correct?  What's the difference and which of the two would provide the best chance in getting a job - either field work, lab or both?  They seem quite similar so I want to know which of the two would give me the best chance at landing a job.
Any info would be appreciated!!!
cgr

Re: What's the difference???

cgr
Lab work definitely! If you want to go into the crime lab as a criminalist most places require at least 30 semester hours of  Chemistry. If you are more interested in field work you should actually focus on more of a photography background. This will be your in and you can be trained for the evidence collection on the job. While the degrees sound cool they are missing a lot of what actual labs require to get your foot in the door. I got my degree in Chemistry and just had an emphasis in criminalistics. I think it better prepares you.

Re: What's the difference???

letibug
Thank you SO much!

Re: What's the difference???

Shelley Watson
Forensic science deals with the training in scientific procedures for analyzing evidence and studying data and information used for investigation. Forensic science deals with the collection, storage and analyzing the evidences scientifically.
But a crime scene investigator needs to put forth the complete evidence in court with the explanation and relationship with the crime. They are involved in the trials of court for the specific crime.
Hence both are interesting and has their relevance in their particular fields.
Genius is seldom recognized for what it is: a great capacity for hard work.