Where to start?

CheyenneR
I believe I am interested in becoming a crime scene investigator. I am having a hard time figuring out the best route of education for this career. I have seen it range from a certificate to a doctorate. Then from there I have seen that I should get a degree in Criminal Justice, Forensic Science, Bio Chem, ETC. So my question is, What is the best education for this career and what is the most valuable to major in?

I also was hoping someone could clear up their exact job summary. I have researched that they take the samples at the crime scene and then analyze it at the lab. Other websites have stated those are two separate jobs. I am interested in both aspects.

Thank you!

Re: Where to start?

Jeremy Miller
Hey Cheyenne,
Some agencies do have their own crime labs, most do not and the jobs are separate. No processing a piece of evidence is usually the job of a CSI. Meaning fingerprinting and getting a DNA sample from a piece of physical evidence recovered on scene. Something to submit to the lab for further testing. Your major would depend on what your focus would be after college. Either way you go, try to get an internship at either a PD or Forensics Lab, whichever you want to have a career. This will put ahead of the next applicant that only went to school. Even if you don't get credit for the internship, you can add it to your resume. Let me know if you have other questions.

Re: Where to start?

CheyenneR —

I suggest you look at the following page: How to Become a Crime Scene Investigator. It should give you an idea of what you need to do to become a CSI or Forensic Scientist.

Also, there are over 500 jobs listed in the employment opportunity page of the Crime Scene Investigator Network. Many are entry level jobs. Look through the job announcements to see what employers require. You will find that many jobs require a degree, but some do not. Of course, you will be more completive if you have a degree.