Working overseas

Rachel
Hi!

I have completed my bachelor of forensic science sub-majoring in forensic chemistry at university of western Sydney in 2013 and have found it difficult to obtain a job in forensics.

Would anyone know any agencies that are open to international applications or specific employment organizations I could research and gain more information?

Thanks

Re: Working overseas

Sknappa2s
I would suggest joining an organization.  Check out The American College of Forensic Examiners Institute.  We are a certification body with over 8 different certifications.  Our certifications include Certified Master Forensic Social Worker, Certified Criminal Investigator, Certified Forensic Physician, Certified Forensic Nurse, and Certified Medical Investigator among others.  When looking for a job it is very important to set yourself apart from other candidates.  Our certifications will help you do that.  Enter the workforce prepared and certified.  Check out our website at www.acfei.com for more information on our certifications.  If you have any questions, please contact Shellie at 800-423-9737.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Re: Working overseas

SeyiVanderpuye
A good organization is the American Academy of Forensic Science (www.aafs.org)
which has international membership and great networking opportunities at their annual conference.
You can search the internet for other forensic professional organizations in crime scene investigation, toxicology etc
Possibly if inclined, you could do a PhD in forensic science or a field applicable to forensics. It is possible to find programs in the sciences in the USA that waive fees and give you a living stipend. While here you would be in a position to get a job and  permanent residency after graduation. If you had an Australian PhD (or one from any number of other countries) in forensic science or a field applicable to forensics you could come to the US on a visa that would allow you to apply for permanent residency. My degrees were in Biochemistry from the UK and I have seen a couple of Aussies working at Crime labs in the USA - not all were Ph.Ds.

There may also be some exchange programs in Australia or the US that would help. You would have to do an internet search. The FBI has them for professionals and postgrads as does NIDA.