checking out my options

Mari
Hello, I am working on getting a degree in chemistry as it seems many of the agencies that I have looked into seem to require that prior to applying. For example, my state crime lab has this requirement.  I have a 3.7 GPA with two years left. I understand this is a hard field to get into but am looking for ways that might help me get "a foot in the door." Thanks for your input and I am glad I found this site as it is rather informative.

Re: checking out my options

Mari—

There are over 250 jobs listed on the employment opportunity page of the Crime Scene Investigator Network. Many are entry level jobs.

You can sign up for a daily email of new CSI and Forensic Science job postings. The email alerts go out several times a week featuring new jogs that have been posted. Or you can sign up on twitter and receive the new job post alerts that way. Sign up at http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/jobalerts.html

Volunteer work with different agencies will be helpful.

Here is a tip if you are having trouble getting a job: Apply for a "related" job, such as a Forensic Autopsy Technician, Evidence Custodian, Property Officer, Community Service Officer, etc. This can be a way to "get your foot in the door" or gain on-the-job experience that will help in getting the job you want later.

To get in this career field you may find you need to move to a different location to get an entry level job. But once you have worked a while in that entry level position you will have the experience required for other jobs.