cops as crime scene technicians

Matt Coleman
i am confused about whether or not in all 50 states crime scene technicians have to be cops. i kno is PA where i live you have to be a cop to be a crime scene technician or CSI. what i want to know is whether or not this is true for all 50 states and if it isnt which states this is true for.

Re: cops as crime scene technicians

Wilson CSI
It is not really state to state if a person has to be sworn to be a CSI.  It is agency to agency.  I am in NC I work as a non sworn person.  But my counterpart in another agency in town is sworn.  There is going to be a trend where a lot of departments will start switching from sworn to non sworn CSIs.