crime scene notes in court

gemma
Ok.. .so i am in a bit of a dilemma, I am a student who is going through my assessment at the moment however during the mad rush i made one small error... I didnt sign one of my continuation sheets but i followed protocol for everything else. I don't want this stupid one mistake to discredit the work i have done on my assessment. Is there any way to argue the point on this that i am only human and make tiny human error without getting a major lashing and questioning from the defense in court i am extremely nervous it will be my first time in court or will i just have to roll with the punches and my evidence be dismissed?
many thanks
G.Hurley

Re: crime scene notes in court

Wilson CSI
Don't sweat it.  If the defense attorney makes a big deal out of a sheet of paper not being signed they have nothing against you and attacking anything they can.  Just be honest and say you over looked signing it the jury will understand.  But take it as a learning experience you will now better for next time.

Re: crime scene notes in court

Gemma--

"Wilson CSI" is right. Just admit your mistake without being too defensive. Juries don't appreciate attorneys who pick at little details like this--as long as it is just one little mistake. Juries do expect us to do all the major things correctly, but they know we are human and can make small mistakes. But if there are several small clerical mistakes juries can consider it a real competency problem.

But in your question you said you are a student. It sounds like you will have a mock trial. You can expect the teacher/attorney to make a big deal out of it. That is fine because the result is that you will probably never make that mistake again.

As far as courtroom testimony: It is a critical part of the job. These are a few good books on the subject. One is Courtroom Testimony for the Fingerprint Expert, 2nd Edition by Gary W. Jones. You can find others in the Crime Scene Investigator Network Bookstore.

Hope the teacher isn't too hard on you--or perhaps since the teacher is human, he/she misses your mistake!

--Steve

gemma wrote