education

Felicia
I am currently enrolled in a two year college taking criminal justice classes. I am aiming towards becoming a crime scene investigator. I know that I do not want to work in the labs, I want to work in the field. However, I have a feeling that criminal justice classes are not going to help me when it comes to getting hired. I am not sure what I need be my major. Should it be forensics or chemistry, biochem? What would help me more? I am looking to transfer schools and want to know what kind of specific major to look for. Not many schools around me in Ohio have forensic science degrees and I am finding it hard to find any information or someone to help me. Also, do I need to be in the police department before I will be able to become a CSI? Or do I only need a 2 or 4 year degree? Should I go through the police academy? If anyone can supply me with any information that would be fantastic as I am quite lost in my search. Thanks!

Felicia

Re: education

Felicia-

Criminal Justice degrees are not really specific enough to do you much good when applying for a CSI job. While some departments only require a high school education, more agencies are now asking for degrees in a natural science such as biology. With a lot of competition for every job, you need to make yourself as marketable as possible.

The requirements for positions are set by the department that is hiring and can range from a high school education to a 4 year degree. Most departments that have full-time CSI positions are hiring civilians for the positions. You do not need to become a police officer to become a CSI in most cases (some departments do not have full time CSI positions so they train detectives or police officers to do the job as part of their regular duties). Some areas of the country (such as California, Arizona, Texas, Florida) tend to have a lot of civilian CSI positions.

The problem with going through a police academy and then getting hired as a police officer in order to get a position as a CSI is that you have no guarantee that you will be the police officer who will be chosen for the CSI position. I was a police officer in a department where one police officer (a detective) did the CSI duties and he stayed in that position until he retired. I had no chance to get the job. After 8 years on that department I resigned and I went to a different police department so I would have a better chance to get the CSI position there (and I got the CSI position).

What you should do is get an idea of where you might want to work (which departments and areas of the country) and the look at what those departments are requiring for CSI candidates. Then do what you have to do to get the job. You can look at job listings on this website and see what different departments require: Employment Listings

If I was starting out in college and wanted a CSI field position I would major in Biology, take plenty of Chemistry classes, and take classes in Trigonometry, Computer Skills and Technical Writing.

Blood stain interpretation uses trigonometry. Other aspects of crime scene investigations use simple math skills. Biology and chemistry cover DNA and other things helpful in the collecting of evidence and work in the laboratory. Computers are used in many aspects of the job. And they don't show it on TV, but report writing is critical so good technical writing skills are a necessity.

You can also look at "How to Become a Crime Scene Investigator" on this website for some more information.

Felicia wrote
[...]

felicia
Thank you so very much! I have been trying to get that information for months now! I will take your advice and thank you again!

Re: education

DennisD
Steve,

You are SO right about report writing! Processing an average burglary scene normally takes me 2 hours at minimum THEN comes the real work, trying to make sense of your on scene notes and putting them into a report that has to be approved by the shift sgt and then the commander...make one mistake and they shoot it back to ya!

Re: education

DennisD
Actually, most of your work as a CSI is "paperwork" and TONS of it! Your actual field work, or at least mine, is approximately 1/4 of the time spent working a case, the rest is paper, paper and PAPER! I process most of my own evidence here at the station and the rest is sent to the Arizona Dept. Of Public Safety Lab in Flagstaff.

Re: education

CSI/ET Wannabe
Hi Felicia,

I am in the same boat as you, and I am learning that what I spent the last 2 years doing and the MONEY I have spent may have all been for not....I just wish I would have found that out BEFORE enlisting on an online school.  But, I completed my Associate's degree and it is mine, no one can take that away, good luck on your career hunt and school transfer.  I am in Michigan, and like Ohio, there is not really a lot out there for specific crime scene investigation education if you are not willing to spend $20 - $30,000 more for college.

Again, Good Luck!!

post graduet

karwanm83@yahoo.com
Dear Mr. / Mrs.

   I am 2nd lieutenant Karwan Mahmood Ahmed

I am from Iraq, I have bachelor degree in police science ,  and I want to progress my learning about this scope , particular in Forensic Sciences) crime scene investigation( , and get master degree in the crime scene investigation , I hope that you can help me to find the collage or university of this education ,

       Kind regards

   2nd lieutenant Karwan Mahmood Ahmed

  +9647701395920

Karwanm83@hotmail.com