education

Christina
hello,

       I am currently working at a hospital as a nursing assistant because I thought I wanted to be a nurse. After so many years working I realized that nursing is t for me. Yet I love the clinical aspect of nursing. I also wanted to go straight to the military out of high school but couldn't because I have asthma. So being a sworn officer although different I feel is the next thing. Having said that. My ultimate goal is to work in a crime lab or doing something with the lab and evidence. This has all been more than interesting to me (way before CSI came out). I figured working for the local pd is the best of both worlds. However I don't know if its realistic for a police officer to go back to school. Last but not least...should I get a criminal justice degree or a natural science degree? Need a little help.

Re: education

sharon
I have been a nurse and teacher for 28 years.  I have taken courses in nursing forensics; I want to know what i would need re education in obtaining a degree in crime scene investigation.  Thanks.

Re: education

Christina—

I suggest you look at the following page: How to Become a Crime Scene Investigator. It should give you an idea of what you need to do to become a CSI or Forensic Scientist.

Also, there are over 250 jobs listed in the employment opportunity page of the Crime Scene Investigator Network. Many are entry level jobs. Look through the job announcements to see what employers require.

If you want to work in a lab as a Criminalist or Forensic Scientist, you will need a B.S. in a natural science, such as Biology, with a suitable amount of Chemistry. Some labs are accepting Forensic Science degrees. If you want to work as a Crime Scene Investigator, you can find some jobs with less eduaction required.

Christina wrote