hours

annie
what are the hours of a forensic investigator?

Re: hours

Wayne
Anne,
The Forensic laboratory I worked at had a schedule of 8:00 am to 4:00 p.m. but, only if your were a "bench" scientist.  If you were part of the Crime Scene Unit, your work hours may extend well into the night.  I was part of the CSU and often worked 12 to 14 hour days.  I was Also required to be "on call" 24/7 for two to three weeks at a time.  Over time was also mandatory.

Re: hours

Becky
Unfortunately for us, criminals do not commit crimes just from 9 to 5 haha. The unit I interned with started at 7am until 3am, with people on-call for the four hours in between.

Re: hours

J(Criminalist)
Does overtime pay more? either way I think it's awesome

Re: hours

DennisD
Well....my office hours are 0700 till 1500 hrs. AND I'm on call 24/7 with every other Saturday off call.  I average 50 hours a week on a slow week, 60+ on a busy week.

Re: hours

MikeC
Hi, here in my Police force we work a shift pattern which runs between the hours of 0800 & 2200
we are paid an on-call allowance covering 2200 to 0800hrs and this is divided out between CSI's
we usually work 4-5 calls a month.
We also work weekends and all holidays (including Christmas day !) as rest assured criminals dont have a day off either :)
Crime Scene Investigator
(RFP) Registered Forensic Practitioner
United Kingdom

Re: hours

Jester
It varies, do you have a set time to report yes, its around 8-10 hr per day.  Some dept require you to be on call for a week on and a week off.  It also depends on the size of the Dept and how many people can be sent to a scene with out backups.

Re: hours

Leigh
That is true in most places i believe, on call 24/7
All due respect, In most cases you could work eighteen hours if there are limited staff available to work and It isn't unusual to be called and dragged into work when you're finally getting to sleep. Some people work 18 hour days for at least a week, plus emergency overtime. If you're not so good at sleeping whatever chance you get you'd have one hell of a time being prepared for work.

Re: hours

Jester
The job I just applied for wants me to be on call 24/7, but I will be one of three on the team.  But the other 2 are detectives while I will be the only CSI for the County   Hopefully I will hear back from them to see and get more info on the job at hand!

Re: hours (in the UK)

Hotwired
In the United Kingdom the shift patterns can vary.

In my constabulary, we have two grades of SOCO (Scenes of Crime Officer):

 - a Volume Crime Scenes of Crime Officer - whose role is to examine vehicle crime and none dwelling burglaries. They work eight hour shifts five days a week (not including weekends).

 - Scenes of Crime Officer - all other crime scenes, but including volume crime scene work as well.  They cover from 07:00 hours to 23:00 hours  with nine hour overlapping shifts, with an officer allocated to be on call between 23:00 hours and 07:00 hours the next day, so 24/7 cover. The on-call SOCO is expected to get back to the station for briefing and attendance at a potential crime scene within an hour of having been called.

Forensic scientists on the other hand, work in the laboratory on eight hour shifts between about 07:00 and 18:00, with on call scientists for the various disciplines that may be required - Fire Investigation, Blood Distribution Analysis, Firearms etc.