info on california csi employments

cpt415
Hi, I am interested in becoming a crime scene technician/forensic technician/criminal investigator, and would like some advice on what the best route would. I was thinking of getting a certificate/diploma in crime scene technician to get employment, and while working continue my education getting a degree in criminal justice, or crime scene investigations. My main concern is do most agencies want you to go through a police academy or do they accept civilians? Also any recommendations on schools in California to attend? Thanks everyone in advance for your time and cooperation.

Re: info on california csi employments

Phill
I work for a large Northern California Law Enforcement Agency and we only use sworn staff as our CSI Technicians.  I was told by one of the Sergeants that they have had past incidents {primarily domestic violence incidents} with the suspect returning to the scene with a lone CSI tech. on the premises.  This was a big enough "officer safety" issue to establish the policy that the CSI's be sworn only.

An adjacent medium size agency employed non-sworn civilian staff up until a severe budget cut a year or two ago.  Now the sworn patrol officers do double duty.