info plz

crystal
I am interested in criminal justice forensic specifically crime scene technician or investigator. I know that you can not have any kind of criminal history or drug use. But I have been arrested before maybe like two or three times but the charges were dropped against me.. i was in a bad relationship where there was alot of fighting. I'm just wondering if that will prevent me from being able to get a job in that field.

Re: info plz

Crystal—

As a crime scene investigator or forensic scientist you will often be in a position to handle drugs and cash (sometimes very large quantities). You will also have to testify in court on these matters. It makes no sense for an agency to hire someone with drug or credit problems, or has any other kind of serious arrest record. That is the major reason agencies do background investigations on candidates.

That being said, if you have not had any problems for a few years, then most agencies will take that into consideration. Most everyone makes mistakes. The questions are: how big were the mistakes, what have you done to overcome the mistakes, and is it possible the mistakes will be repeated after hire.

The most important thing is to be truthful. You may have to take a polygraph examination. If you admit your mistakes before the background investigation and polygraph you have a chance. It you try to conceal your mistakes and are found out during the polygraph or background investigation you will be disqualified.

During the background investigation they will contact people who know you, and they are very good about finding people who know you that were not listed in your references. They will find out about past problems.

One thing you might want to do is identify the agency you might want to work for, and contact the person at the agency who does backgrounds. Tell that person your situation and see what they say and/or recommend.