latent print examiner

KER

latent print examiner

KER
I am looking to start a career as a latent print examiner. I currently have a Bachelors degree in CJ but I was looking for advice as to where to start. What certification is considered to be the most used/best for the field?

Thank you!!
Jay

Re: latent print examiner

Jay
The certifications offered by the International Association for Identification (IAI) are definitely relevant and sought after in the fields of crime scene and latents, but they do have an experience requirement (2 years for LPE certification, for instance).  I completed the Forensic Science program through American Institute of Applied Science which had a good fingerprint section, but they are closing up shop at the end of this year and I don't think you can begin a new program at this point.

Since my response hasn't been too helpful, my suggestion would be to seek out entry-level fingerprint technician / tenprint examiner positions.  Many larger agencies have a new examiner training program that would take you through from brand new to experienced examiner doing independent casework.  Best of luck.