thank you very much

~jackie (:

Hotwired Hotwired

Re: need help on these questions..respond quickly! (:

Firstly, I should state that I am in the United Kingdom, so this may not be applicable to your school project.

1)how did you start you career? I started on leaving school at 18 years of age, applying for a none degree entry to a forensic science laboratory.

2) what education and training did it require?  Once employed, I went to night classes and day relase to a local college to get a diploma in applied Biological Sciences, I then took a few years off to attend a university to get a bachelors degree in a science subject (Zoology). On returning to the forensic laboratory I was promoted, but then decided I would like a change of scenery, so left my job as a forensic scientist (having done about 13 years) and became a Scenes of Crime Officer (also called a Crime Scene Investigator).

3) what do you like about your job? Meeting and helping lots of people. Seeing 'behind the scenes' of investigations. The team work of a small department of CSI supporting the police. Working alone (mostly). Realising that, after 28 years, I am considered an expert in my field. Basically, everything about the job except the shifts we work.

4) what do you do on a typical day at your job? A typical day starts with not knowing what may happen or what is already waiting for me. The usual shift consists of examining three or four crime scenes (sometimes more). Scenes consisting of vehicle crime (stolen motorvehicles, theft from motorvehicles), burglaries (dwellings and businesses), possibly take some photographs to record injuries to a victim of assault, give advice to police officers investigating crimes as to how forensic science can assist them. I can also expect to start my shift with a sexual offence having been reported, or an assault scene (including suspicious death), or even an arson scene.

& i need a name (first and last please) and the career you have. I am a crime scene investigator for a United Kingdom constabulary. More details are available by looking at my first post on these boards.
Mona Mona

Re: need help on these questions..respond quickly! (:

Hi Hotwired,

I would like to move back to Europe after I graduation.  I graduated in 2007 with an AS in Criminal Investigations, and will be finished with a BA in Criminal Justice Jan. 2010, I also did a 2-year internship with a local police department crime lab.  I would appreciate any advice you can offer me.  I currently live in the U.S., and I know that crime is more prevalant here than in Europe.

Thanks, Mona

contact: mona_marius68@yahoo.com
Hotwired Hotwired

Re: need help on these questions..respond quickly! (:

Hello Mona,

I can only comment about the United Kingdom - no idea what goes on in the rest of Europe.

Currently there are news articles about the Forensic Science Service (the largest forensic science employer) tightening their belt - they are closing three laboratories of the seven or eight that they have.

This will result in about 200 scientists losing their jobs if they cannot relocate the the laboratories that are staying open. I would imagine that just under half of these people do not have a science or criminal/forensics degree, but experience counts for a lot as well.

There are several UK universities that now provide first degrees in crime scene and forensic science subjects - which means about 300 graduates a year going onto the job market.

The largest employer of crime scene/forensic practitioners are the fifty or so constabularies and police forces up and down the country (if looked at combined).

The Metropolitan Police (London) employ about 1500 staff in forensics - scene visitors, lab' technicians, photographers etc.

My force has about 35 CSI, 2 fingerprint lab' technicians, 3 photograhic department staff, 40 fingerprint experts and a support staff of about 10.

The other forces are somewhere in between in staff numbers, to give you an idea of the numbers employed in forensics and CSI by constabularies and police forces.

There are a number of up and coming forensic laboraries, I would guess that they employ about 1000 people in total.

Your qualifications would put you on an equivalent (or slightly higher)  level to most applicants for these types of jobs when they come available.  The two years of experience with a police department would give you an edge over many of the applicants, work experience in this field is difficult to obtain in the UK.

The United Kingdom is currently in a recession and the government is putting a hold on recruitment in the police forces for a year or so, so do not expect to see many jobs advertised - unless they are filling a desperate need.

There are agencies that employ CSI staff that fill in for staff on maternity leave, sick leave, or where there is a desperate need to increase staff levels quickly in police forces all around the country. The periods of employment are short (few months to a year) but also help you get more experience, although they would expect a recruit to be experieced and not need training.

The NPIA College at Harperly Hall is where most CSIs go to be trained, I do know of some people who have paid to do the initial course themselves and have subsequently found work in CSI.

CSI http://www.npia.police.uk/en/6461.htm

The savings to a police force in not having to wait for the new member of staff to go on the course and then 'get up to speed' is very attractive to the Human Resources departments who make up the lists of candidates for interview.

I hope that helps and does not put you off. CSI and forensic work is both challenging and rewarding and I think in the long run will be an expanding area.