non-us citizen career opportunities

Trish
hi! i was wondering if as a non-us citizen who already graduated in medicinal chemistry and biotechnology (not in the us), and is staying here for some time as a visiting student, can i start working in forensic science after my program is done?
i would even be able to start another masters program in forensics but would like to work at the same time gaining experience. do you know any places i can get more information for the international students how to start in that field?

Re: non-us citizen career opportunities

Trish —

It is definitely possible, but first you must have legal status to work in the United States.

To work as a non-permanent resident in the United States you would have to find an employer who will sponsor you for a temporary worker visa for a job opening they have. Since there are a lot of USA citizens applying for the CSI and forensic jobs, it will be difficult for you to get an agency to go to the trouble of sponsoring you unless you have a lot of experience or a speciality they really want. And most agencies want career employees, not temporary workers.

Another way to work legally in the United States would be to get a Green Card (Permanent Residence). It is possible to get a Green Card through a job offer. (You may be eligible to become a permanent resident based on an offer of permanent employment in the United States. Most categories require an employer to get a labor certification and then file a Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, for you.)

Meanwhile, here is a listing of over 250 Crime Scene Investigator and Forensic Scientist jobs in the United States (the most complete listing on the internet).

Trish wrote