possible break in

red

possible break in

red
My friend was asleep at her country home, her two kids in her room, her husband working an overnight shift. She didn't hear someone trying to dislodge her front door. Her dogs apparently didn't bark or didn't wake her with any barking. (they're in a kennel in the house) And her outside dog didn't wake her. But when she got up in the morning and her husband came home, they found that the front door had alot of scrapes and chips, where a person might use a knife to pry the door open. She sent me the photos.I don't see a place to link them here, but you can see that someone worked hard at that door, the paint is badly scraped and stripped, some of the wood splintered. She didn't report it because she said her police dept never does anything, and she thinks it was kids. I beg to differ.

The clues: her car was in the driveway, lights all off, dogs inside and outside. What kind of person would be brave enough to try and break into a house where a car is parked, and dogs are randomly scattered?

Her mother lives in a house in front of hers, and was out of town all week, so no cars there, and it's all dark. Her house showed no evidence of tampering with.

What kind of burglar breaks into an occupied house?

My gut feeling is, someone who knows the family or knows the neighborhood well, wanted into her house because she WAS HOME, with her 5 yr old boy and 7 yr old girl. Either this is a person intent on kidnapping a small child, or someone intent on rape and/or murder. She's a very good looking young woman, and I don't believe for a minute, that this person was there to steal something and leave. I told her she needs to at least believe the worst,  instead of ignoring it and pretending it was a thief, then prepare for the worst, so she can save her children and herself if it ever happens again.  They live in rural Oklahoma, where bad things spring out 'from nowhere,' and kidnappings and murders have happened far more than they care to think. There's not alot of violent crime in Oklahoma, but when it happens, it's shocking, brutal, and usually without motive. This is what worries me for her. Now that her husband is working days for one month, she has a reprieve. What say you???

Re: possible break in

Joe C
Anything from an animal scratching at the door or a criminal trying to get in could make marks on a door. It is unusual that the dogs didn't bark. If the police were called, they could at least look at the damage to determine if an attempted burglary occurred (tool marks, etc). Your friend should report this to the police no matter how she feels about them. Without reporting the incident, the police have no idea of possible criminal activity at her home. She should request extra police patrols as a deterrent. In the mean time, I would suggest she invest in dead bolts, an alarm system, have lights on timers and motion detectors for added security.
red

Re: possible break in

red
I know she needs to, I've encouraged her to because there could be a pattern in the neighborhood, or they may know something she doesn't, etc. I suggested an alarm lock with a keypad. Apparently her windows are not easy to access but she should secure them well. She said later that the dogs could've barked, but she's a hard sleeper. So a door alarm with a piercing shriek would be good. She also needs to keep one of her husbands' guns ready for action, away from the kids. Just in case...

Re: possible break in

Becka
Just from what you have written it sounds like maybe a cat or some other kind of animal. With out looking at the door it's hard to say. I would put a dusk to dawn light on the porch with the motion activator. That will help keep all intruders away.