processing chemicals

Laura Brown
I am a Crime Scene Investigator with the El Paso County Sheriff's Office.  We would like to mix our own chemicals such as ninhydrin instead of purchasing the premixed stuff.

When using ninhydrin crystals, what solvent do you use for mixing?  Do you find that mixing your own chemicals is more effective?

We have tons of "very old" chemicals.  They do not have expiration dates.  Does anyone know how long acetone, ethonol, methanol, or ethyl ether lasts?

My first post/question.  Would love to hear from some of you.
L.Brown

Re: processing chemicals

Wilson CSI
We mix our own chemicals.  Here is a link to mixing ninhydrin http://www.iape.org/emanual/Documents/Print%20Processing/Ninhydrin.doc

I usually use solution 1 but do it in a separatory funnel.