question about required education

jason
I have a general question for the experts about the education required to go into medico legal death investigation, death investigation, and medical investigation...ect...

I went to a four year university for forensic science, I now have my BS in cjus forensic investigation.  I have taken a liking to death investigation, and since then started attending classes for my masters degree just to stay in school, and to eventually look into applying for med school.  Recently I was browsing schools and noticed a few offer masters and higher in death investigation majors.  I am sort of confused, I was always under the impression that medical examiners and death examiners were required to attend medical school and be a doctor.  Am I wrong?

When I took my undergrad in forensic science I took literally NO classes in the sciences, in prepping for the MCAT I am having to study a ton of chemistry and biology to catch up to graduate level.  Am I currently going down the correct road to get into legal death investigation, or should I look into applying for a graduate program in death investigation?

Re: question about required education

CSI Tink
it sounds like you're mixing up two career paths.

Medical Examiners are forensic pathologists who actually perform the autopsy.  They determine cause of death, surviveability of injuries, etc.  They are the ones who need the MD or DO education.

MLDIs are investigators.  They tend to be the eyes and ears of the medical examiners in the field and will respond out to a death scene. MLDIs will often act as a liaison between police, hospitals, family, etc and the actual Medical Examiner.  MLDIs, depending on the office may have no education, may have a masters, may have PA degrees.

Re: question about required education

jason
Thanks for replying!   I am more interested in death investigation. Since I am already doing my masters I have looked into transitioning into the masters PA program, which I hope can help me reach my goals.  I am going to look into apply for an internship as well, what is a good place to look for internships related to death investigation?