questions about becoming a csi agent

Rebecca
i am in high school and i want to be a CSI agent but i have a couple of questions. What would I need to do to become an agent? If I want to solve just homicides, what type of agent do I need to be? Is there a certain school we should go to? do i need a certain degree? do I need to fill out an application?

Re: questions about becoming a csi agent

Rebecca—

Homicide Detectives investigate homicide crimes. To be a homicide detective you will have to first become a police officer, sheriff's deputy, or state trooper. After working for several years you may have a chance to become a detective. If you work for a large agency they may have detectives that specialize in homicide investigations, but you would expect to work as a detective for some time before specializing as a homicide detective.

Generally, Crime Scene Investigators document crime scenes, identify and collect evidence, and often do some laboratory processing of the evidence. You do not need to become a police officer, sheriff's deputy, or state trooper to be a CSI in many agencies.

If you want to be a CSI, I suggest you look at the following page: How to Become a Crime Scene Investigator. It should give you an idea of what you need to do to become a CSI or Forensic Scientist.

If you want to be a homicide detective you might consider a degree in Criminal Justice or Administration of Justice. If you want to be a CSI you should consider a CSI or Forensic Science degree, or get a degree in a hard science such as Biology.

Also, there are over 250 jobs listed in the employment opportunity page of the Crime Scene Investigator Network. Many are entry level jobs. Look through the job announcements to see what employers require.

When you are ready to apply for a job you will have to fill out an application.

Rebecca wrote

Rebecca
would it be easier to be in the military first and then could you be a homicide detective

Re: questions about becoming a csi agent

Rebecca—

Easier? Not really.

Serving in the military has advantages. And it is possible to do CSI and Homicide Investigations in the military—IF you can get the assignment. But just serving in the military does not give you an advantage in becoming a homicide detective. You might have an easier time getting hired by a department, but you will still have to get hired as a police officer, sheriff's deputy or state trooper. You will have to go through the law enforcement academy. You will have to serve as an officer for years until there is a homicide detective opening in your department. And you will have to compete for the position with other officers who also want to be homicide detectives.

If your goal is to become a homicide detective you can possibly do it. You just have to work very hard and don't expect it to happen quickly.

Rebecca wrote
would it be easier to be in the military first and then could you be a homicide detective