questions to ask..

Posted by ErikaM ErikaM
hi i have some questions to ask a csi.. i was wondering if anyone could help..please contact me at meekserika@gmail.com thank you

Hotwired Hotwired

Re: questions to ask..

I would prefer you post them online, I tend to get messed up with emailing.

Post any questions here (or look at what other people have asked - your questions may have already been answered elsewhere on the boards).

I am sure there is a regular CSI contributer who may be able to assist (I will be checking in over the next week as I have some time off work (which I should be using for my long overdue 'spring cleaning').
ErikaM ErikaM

Re: questions to ask..

My apologies..I don't do things like this because I'm not even graduated yet. I need some insight about this career. I'll be graduating soon and I want to go to collage right away. But I don't know what I want to do. I would like to know if this career path would be worth it. There's not many places to attend for criminal justice here in Arizona. I would appreciate it very much.
Hotwired Hotwired

Re: questions to ask..

Hi there,
I am a CSI in the United Kingdom, so my advice may not be particularly applicable to the United States..

All I can say is I love my job, it is very challenging, and satisfying.

If helping people is your 'thing', having something different to do everyday, rather than an everyday is the same job, then CSI would be for you.

Bare in mind that some of the cases you would be involved in would be a little disturbing and you will see some things that are considered unpleasant by some people..

From my own research, a CSI job in the USA (or in the United Kingdom), is not going to make you a millionaire, but the pay is respectable and the benefits can be good.

You get to work in a team with good people, who want to see justice be done. My experience of CSI and Forensic Scientists are that they are a odd bunch (in a nice way) and very sociable people.

Hopefully, someone from the US will also answer your questions.

Good luck in choosing your career path, whatever you decide to do.
ErikaM ErikaM

Re: questions to ask..

Thank you this was rather helpful. You wouldn't believe how many people I've helped by keeping them out of the grave. And I've always been rather satisyed with that. I love to see justice be served. I've discovered that i have a strong stomach. I live on the side of town where theres lots of dead animals laying around...horses, dogs, javalinas, coyotes, the works. Can smell the death. It's kinda weird but I have to admit it's watching the CSI shows that gave me insparation to go after this career path. I am aware of the things I will encounter and if I choose this path I will certainly try to be prepared for anything. Its either this or graphic artist or a Marine. So I have to decide soon, I'm only 15 but I'll be out of school by the end of summer like August. I don't plan on joining any career for money. Just the pleasure of doing the job.
Hotwired Hotwired

Re: questions to ask..

Hi again,

You could always become a marine, serve your time, use the educational grants supplied by the armed forces to go to college and study to be a CSI.

You have maybe sixty years of employment ahead of you, you could fit quite a lot of experiences into that time.

I have colleagues who were in the army, navy and air force in the United Kingdom. They did just that - served their country overseas, met lots of people and saw lots of places, returned and then studied to be CSI.

Their experience in the armed forces - disciplined organisations that involve lots of team work - has helped them I am sure.

All four of them have moved into Crime Scene management and senior posts...

... and still have fifteen years plus left of time to do something else if they wanted.

You seem to have a good head on your shoulders, planning your career ahead of time.

Good luck!
ErikaM ErikaM

Re: questions to ask..

Thank you  for your advice you have been very helpful. But my parents aren't in favor of the armed forces. I cannot enlist or go through the ROTC programs untill I'm 18. I've gotta get out there right away :] I have been planning for this ever since I could remember. I just needed to get older so people would actually give me advice. Thanks again. I think that I'll start looking at collages.
Sara Staggs Sara Staggs

Re: questions to ask..

Hi Erika,

Go ahead and start looking through all the educational programs we have listed on our Colleges and Training page.  That should help you see how many different jobs types are out there in the CSI world!
ErikaM ErikaM

Re: questions to ask..

Thank you but I've chosen a college. It's local so I can stay with my parents. This school has the lowest age requirement. I'll be 16 when I can attend and thats their requirement. I'll be a CSI before I even become an adult. =] I'm super excited
saraucf saraucf

Re: questions to ask..

Erika!
You're young and already know what you want to do! You already ahead of the game, good for you! I'm 25 and have been looking for a CSI job for 3 years now. I went to college for criminal justice and took some crime scene classes. After college, I started my job search. Believe me. You have a tough job ahead of you. I'm not gonna sugar coat it!
If the college you are planning on attending does not have CJ as a major, maybe go there  for only 2 years. During those 2 years you can focus on getting those pesky Gen.Ed courses out of the way. By time 2 years is up, you can transfer to a University of your choice!! And if you are scared about the finances, set an appointment with your college's financial aid counselor. They can show you how to get tons of $$$ for loans and grants.  My loans and grants covered 2 years of rent, books and tuition 100%!! Easy as pie!
Move out of the parents and experience the great big world!

-sats
ErikaM ErikaM

Re: questions to ask..

I can honestly say I have beaten my family in every way. My older sister is graduatins soon as well and doesnt know what shes going to do my father never finished any college he attended and my mother is still working at walmart 5 years ago she graduated to be an maa in the medical field. My aunt  is still in college and she went streight to college after high school. She's 30 now. I am very proud that I have accomplished this. I paln to start my job search a few months before I graduate from college. I have a tour schedualed for ITT-Tech I have a list of questions I have to ask when  go. Some include what you stated. I am very aware of the obsicals ahead of me but my granmother always says "obsticals are only there when you take your eyes off your goal". I havn't done so. I have been taught to plan ahead. I know exatly what I want to do, and when it's going to happen. Another aunt of mine can help me with searching for grants. And I'll leave my parents when I am out there in the field. Thanks =]