sworn officer

olivia
What does it mean exactly when it says you have to be a sworn officer before becoming a c.s.i? Does that mean that I will have to work as a police officer first? Meaning like patroling the streets? If so, for how long?

Re: sworn officer

wal1809
Yes it means you will have to be a cop.  How long depends on a lot of factors.  My department has 150 policeman.  2 of us are CSI.  I was here 17 years before I made it to my position.  Other departments are different.  There are a lot of differnet factors.  Geographics pplay a big role.  I work in Southeast Texas where only sworn personel with a lot of street experience will get a position in CSI.  North in the Dallas region there are a lot of non sworn CSI.  Like I said there are a lot of different factors.