sworn vs. civilian argument

Posted by csi4526 csi4526
Does anyone out there have any information on the pros/cons of sworn vs. non-sworn staff conducting csi work? thanks

CSI Miami CSI Miami

Re: sworn vs. civilian argument

Sworn get have a better salary and in a way better room for promotions. Also sworn get to take a car home !
Wilson CSI Wilson CSI

Re: sworn vs. civilian argument

I am civilian CSI in NC.  There are pros and cons to both the sworn v/s civilian.

Sworn CSI does have more room for promotions up the ranks, they sometimes do get better pay / benefits just because they are sworn.  But at the same time those can be damaging to the department too.  When a person gets promoted and moves out of the CSI section then they have to pay to train and equip a new CSI.  It becomes a revolving door and the cost adds up.

Non Sworn have very little chance for promotions (depending on the size of your agency).  They do not get a lot of the bonuses that the sworn people get.  (A lot of the bonuses are State Mandated for Sworn Officers).  One huge benefit for an agency is the fact we can't promote out of the unit.  Once they have us trained they don't have to keep training new people as often.

I do get a little jealous sometimes by the extras the sworn get but at the same time I don't have to go out and chase bad guys down, work mandatory extra duties assisting patrol, etc...
And by the way we do get our own take home vehicles.

csi4526 csi4526

Re: sworn vs. civilian argument

Thanks for the information...I guess what I was looking for is any information concerning legal aspects of sworn v. civilian conducting csi work.
Wilson CSI Wilson CSI

Re: sworn vs. civilian argument

What kind of legal aspects are you concerned about?
csi4526 csi4526

Re: sworn vs. civilian argument

if there has been any case law against civilian staffed csi units...comparison of professionalism...effectiveness of one group versus the other...that sort of thing