Reply – Re: Am I wasting my time?
Your Name
or Cancel
In Reply To
Re: Am I wasting my time?
— by Victoria Victoria
You might need to get on as a police officer first and work for a few years on patrol.  Many departments require you be an officer for one to four years prior to being eligable for transfer to the csi department.  I am interested in the Miami Dade police department.  There you have to be an officer for a year and then you can transfer to their csi department.  Denver requires you be an officer for four years, in Seattle its 3 years.  Many departments  only hire civilians as csi's, for those departments you have to have a bachelors degree and 2-4 years experience.  You are going to need to do alot of the leg work yourself.  Go on the internet, this website, police department websites, ect.  You might need to make phone calls, or go and talk to people in person.  You can find the number for the investigation unit and talk to the lutenant in charge.  They can help you with the hiring requirments and possible volunteer oportunities.  You can see if your school offers an internship program as one of your course requirements.  You can always become a police officer and work your way up.  You will gain experience as well as get your foot in the door.  You will get to know the people in the CSI department and can show them how much you want to work with them.  I hope this helps.  Don't give up hope and keep asking around.  Get to know whoever you can in the department you want to work with.  Even if you just go once a week and ask about job openings, they will see how motivated you are to work with them.  If you must become an officer prior to working with them then you know what you need to do.  They will see how much you want to do the job, and can keep an eye out on your work.