hi there, i'm a 41 yr old medical professional who's looking for something new.  i've decided on forensic science, but i didn't know there were so many options.  i live in arizona and i was wondering if anybody else who did their schooling/training in az would allow me to pick their brain for a bit.

thank you in advance!  :)

Misty Misty

Re: totally new here

Hey there!

I can't say for 100% certain, but in my experience, law enforcement won't hire you if you're 35 and over.

I'd not recommend you go to school for it.

CSI Wise CSI Wise

Re: totally new here

I was your age when I wanted a change in career. I went to keiser University and graduated with my AS in Crime Scene Technology and my bachelors in Forensic Investigations. It is never to late. Also most agency's are going to civilian. There was a 2 month internship at the end of my bachelors degree. I found an agency to volunteer  on the crime scene unit. I obtained the training I needed and 1 year later when a position opened I applied and got it.

It is not age that will stop you from obtaining the career that you want. If you want something bad enough and you apply yourself you can accomplish anything.
Desiree Desiree

Re: totally new here

so you're not 100% certain, but you're suggesting i NOT follow through with my plans anyway.  shouldn't you be positive about something before giving life-changing advice????

thanks, but i think i'll follow my dreams.  btw, i'm in touch with a crime scene unit supervisor and she laughed when i asked her about the age thing and said that's not true.
Desiree Desiree

Re: totally new here

Thank you CSI wise!  THAT'S helpful advice.

Congratulations on your degree!  I hope I can be just like you when I grow up.  :)
Misty Misty

Re: totally new here

I'm sorry you feel that way. I've got classmates who say they weren't hired because they were 35 and over. Good luck with your plans.
csi18 csi18

Re: totally new here

So I agree that you should chase dreams. It is all about the pursuit of happiness. So now that I got that out, I do caution you that there is a large amount of truth about the age thing. While you can not be discriminated against based upon age, you have to look at the position of the agency. This is a highly specialized field which is difficult to fill with qualified people. It is fast paced and most CS units do not have the time to train someone and have the position reopen again sooner than later. The agency with a vacancy seeks a person who will commit 20+ years of service working the calls, with experience, and trainable. You will get the interview, but if its you against Miss or Mr. Twentysomething, I don't want to get you down but it is what it is. That's not to say there isnt a place. I encourage you to try. Never do not do something before trying. Please, that isn't my message.

I am no spring chicken, without revealing age, but I can tell you that after saying I would never want to not work calls, I am getting to that point. I am literally scaling walls from 15 foot ladders to climb the last 4 feet to get onto the roof using my forearms and rubber on my shoes, to then jump 4 feet down to get onto an outpost in 90 degree weather after not eating breakfast or lunch. This isn't for us older folks.

So just be aware, and go for it.