transporting of evidence

Terri Augspurger
Hello. I have a question regarding transporting of biological specimens collected from a sexual assault.
The victim chooses to report to law enforcement, so the specimens collected are indeed "evidence" at this point. Who has the authority to transport that evidence to a evidence locker?
At any point would it be appropriate to expect a forensic examiner to transport evidence in their personal vehicle? (As they are contract - not employed by any law enforcement agency). And...would a LEO or CSI ever consider transporting evidence in their personal vehicle or ask a civilian to do so?
Thanks for your input.
Warm Regards,
Terri Augspurger
Clinical Forensic Nurse Examiner
MW

Re: transporting of evidence

MW
Hi I work in the UK, here if the samples were in tamperproof bags and the journey accounted for, ie. bags signed for collection and deposit, there would be no issues with mode of transport. Of course as long as they were stored correctly. The transporter may of course be request to provide a statement or account of the journey.

Re: transporting of evidence

Elizabeth
Same in my department in the US. We use tamper-proof boxes for SA kits. Usually the detective in charge or an officer will transport to evidence, but occasionally I will (I am a civilian CSI). It all depends on who's available to do it.