wich gloves do you use and dont use while handling evidence and in a search so you dont contaminate the evidence?

wich gloves do you use and dont use while handling evidence and in a search so you dont contaminate the evidence?

Grant
as the title says, which ones do you use and why?

thanks

Re: wich gloves do you use and dont use while handling evidence and in a search so you dont contaminate the evidence?

Grant—

My hands tend to sweat a lot when I wear gloves. So at crime scenes and when handling evidence I wear cotton gloves under vinyl gloves. I do this for two reasons: It prevents MY fingerprints from being left on surfaces (yes, through a glove) and the cotton gloves absorb some of the sweat.

The following article talks about this and gives the results of four types of gloves that were tested:

Concerns When Using Examination Gloves at the Crime Scene by David A. Lounsbury and L. Frank Thompson (Florida Gulf Coast University), from the Journal of Forensic Identification, Vol. 56, No. 2, March/April 2006

Grant wrote
...which ones do you use and why?...

Re: wich gloves do you use and dont use while handling evidence and in a search so you dont contaminate the evidence?

mppd464
I agree with using a pair of cloth underneath the outer gloves.  They help reduce sweat and you can easily put a new pair of gloves on if the outer ones become contaminated or dirty.  The cotton gloves also help in the cold weather months for some added insulation.

As far as the outer gloves go, my CSI office use the Microflex Safegrip.  The are extended cuff, decently thick, nitrile, and have a bumpy fingertip to help you grip items easier while the gloves are on.  The Microflex line has many other good gloves but the Safegrip is what we mostly use and we have done so for almost 5 years now.  If you choose to wear two sets of the outer gloves, so you could remove one set without contaminating a new set, it might be hard since the Safegrip gloves are thicker than normal but I suppose it could still be done.

My 2 cents

Re: wich gloves do you use and dont use while handling evidence and in a search so you dont contaminate the evidence?

bhavesh
Examination Gloves Powder Free are manufactured using synthetic latex, contain no latex proteins, and are more puncture resistant than natural rubber. Examination gloves are available in 3 materials Latex, Nitrile (Latex Free) & Vinyl (Latex Free) type. Examination Latex Gloves are tested and proved safe against dermal sensitization and skin irritation.  Elbow length Gynecological Gloves protect the user's forearm against fluid contamination. They are highly flexible and comfortable, hence minimizing user fatigue. Microsurgery gloves are thinner than normal surgical gloves. They provide superior feel and natural sensitivity to the fingertips during microsurgery like ophthalmic surgeries.

https://www.nulife.co.in/examination-gloves/examination-gloves.htm