would it do me any good to pursue my career if i have a record myelf

Posted by mikey vaughn mikey vaughn
i am looking to start school soon, but Im not sure if i can even do it for the fact of having a record myself. would any body take on the job?

NFA_23 NFA_23

Re: would it do me any good to pursue my career if i have a record myelf

Depends on what is on your record and how long ago it occured. If you have several things on your record, you will likely be seen as someone who is constantly in trouble. If you have on their a few minor things that are several years old, but have been able to stay out of trouble recently you may be OK. Just remember not to lie about the incidents that you were involved in- Integrity, in my opinion is the most important attribute of a law enforcement office. If you can't be trusted, you can't be in Law Enforcement.

I would check in to seeing what you have on your record and seeing if it is possible to have some of the items removed. In most areas of the country, some minor convictions can be delected or "expunged" for a fee. But if you do get them taken off, still be honest about what happened. Before you get hired, someone will do a detailed background check. If they find something that you didn't report to them, you can forget about working there.
mikey vaughn mikey vaughn

Re: would it do me any good to pursue my career if i have a record myelf

The most major conviction on my record is aggravated battery other than that a few simple batteries and traffic violations. Most of the time i just got in a lot of small fight stupid teenage and adolescent stuff. what do you think my chances are before i pursue my career?
NFA_23 NFA_23

Re: would it do me any good to pursue my career if i have a record myelf

"Aggravated Battery" sounds like Felony. Sorry, but I think it would be very hard to get hired for a government job with that on your record. I suggest you check with your local law enforcement agencies and see what they say.
Wilson CSI Wilson CSI

Re: would it do me any good to pursue my career if i have a record myelf

I agree with NFA_23.  With those kinds of charges on your record you will be far fetch to get a job for a law enforcement agency.  Even if you are not convicted, just being charged with it will hurt your chances tremendously.  But you can always check with the agencies you want work at just in case.
NFA_23 NFA_23

Re: would it do me any good to pursue my career if i have a record myelf

And also check to see if you can have any of that stuff removed from your record. Non-convictions can be removed, usually for an administration that could be over $100 or so. Even convictions can be removed, usually after a set period of time, or maybe through other means. Where I live, you have to actually going through the Governor's office and the Probation office to seek a pardon. It's not easy or quick, but it can be done. Just check with your local Law Enforcement agency or prosecutors office to see what can be done.
mikey mikey

Re: would it do me any good to pursue my career if i have a record myelf

hey thanks for the help so far i have begun my pardons process and hope to be on my way. if you guys have any more advice please let me know. any sugestions on my classes I should take. i dont want to be stuck just to a lab i want in the feild. i'm doing criminal justice, chemistry, and biology any others I should look out for?
NFA_23 NFA_23

Re: would it do me any good to pursue my career if i have a record myelf

All of that sounds great. It sounds like you will have a great foundation.